Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

Attendees

  • Alissa Hafele, Andre Hohmann, Ann Crowley, Ben Jahre, Bethany Blankemeyer, Bjorn Muschall, Brooks Travis, Carla Lindenmuth, Carol Sterenberg, Chuck Koontz, Dennis Bridges, Dung-Lan Chen, Dwayne Swigert, Emily Robertson, Heather MacFarlane, Heather McMillan, Hedda Kuban, Julia Callahan, Julie Brannon, Julie Stauffer, Kathleen Norton, Kimberly Pamplin, Kimberly Wiljanen, Kristin Martin, Kyle Banjeree, Linh Chang, Lisa Smith, Lucas Moder, Manja Biermann, Martina Karlsson, Martina Schildt, Martina Tumulla, Mary Moran, Nancy Finn, Nancy Pelis, Nina Stellmann, Okay Okonkwo, Owen Stephens, Peter Breternitz, Reinhard Niederer, Renate Pleyer, Robert Heaton, Sabine Dudeck, Sara Colglazier, Scott Perry, Scott Stangroom, Shannon Burke, Susanne Schuster, Sylvia Hamann, Tara Barnett, Victoria Anderson, Winter White, Zorian Sasyk

Agenda

  • Current: Friday, November 18, 2022

    Housekeeping -

    • Reminder - next scheduled meeting, Tuesday, Nov. 22
    • Reminder - Nolana Bugfest is still up ... please help out testing if you can

    PC Updates (Kristin Martin ) -

    • Call for participants for Roadmap and Prioritization group
    • PC Meeting 2022-11-17
      • Will be reviewing SIG notes and coming up with action items
      • Approved new review process for new modules, will be discussed with TC and CC after Thanksgiving
      • Discussion of TC's thoughts on the recommendations of Data Sync Working Group
    • PC Meeting 2022-11-10
      • SIG updates
    • PC Meeting 2022-11-03
      • New Onboarding Group getting started to help new FOLIO members
      • Call for support for the Documentation Technical Editor
      • Community Council is distilling results of "3 things" survey
    • PC Meeting 2022-10-27
      • Serials Management work (you'll hear more about this!)
      • Updates from other councils


    Business -

    • "Serials Management in FOLIO" presentation & feedback (Owen Stephens)

Discussion items

TimeItemWhoNotes
  • Housekeeping -

    • Reminder - next scheduled meeting, Tuesday, Nov. 22
      • Several people indicated they will be off and not attending
    • Reminder - Nolana Bugfest is still up ... please help out testing if you can
 :03

 
:09

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ZvJ1B6BL5L-j-wGTf3B0P5gpxcsHVp0YApk-bQwQ2Fk/edit#slide=id.p

  • Funded by GBV and Duke
  • Terminology: 
    • "Serials are print or non-print publications issued in parts, usually bearing issue numbers and/or dates. A serial is expected to continue indefinitely. Serials include magazines, newspapers, annuals (such as reports, yearbooks, and directories), journals, memoirs, proceedings, transactions of societies, and monographic series." (https://www.loc.gov/issn/issnbro.html)

      From a Folio perspective we might consider anything that has an order with type "Ongoing" a 'serial'

  • Serials Management: 
    • Orders and Invoices for serials
    • Prediction of expected pieces
    • Receipt (aka check in) of expected pieces (including creation/update of related holdings and/or items)
    • Claims for pieces that were expected but not received
    • Tracking / Reminders for standing order and monographic series publication schedules
    • Transfer / Binding / Disposal of received pieces
  • Following diagram was drawn up early in the process. Things colored in already exist in folio. 
  • Meta Data Management has had discussions on Binding
  • Scope of current work
    • Subscription based serials - i.e.
      • Predictable pieces to be received
      • Invoicing and Payment separate to piece receipt
    • Create/edit subscription based serial records
      • Describe the subscribed serial
      • Link to an existing order
      • Link to an existing Inventory instance and/or holding (note that this may be achieved indirectly via an order and/or receiving record)
    • Add a new (subscription) period to a serial
    • Add a new prediction pattern to a serial
    • Generate predicted pieces (based on the serial, period and pattern)
    • Ensure that predicted pieces can be received with appropriate functionality (either in the receiving app or separately if necessary to achieve the desired outcome)
  • Out of Scope of current work
    • Non-subscription/non-predictable based serial publications - such as standing orders/monographic series/loose leafs
    • Automated claims for non-received pieces (i.e. sending out emails/chasers to providers automatically)
    • Collection management aspects such binding/disposal
  • Current work
  • Next steps
      • Lots of decisions still to be made
      • Engagement with Acquisitions and other appropriate SIGs and the wider community
      • Please contact Owen if interested in being a part of this
  • Questions from the group: ?
    • Sara: How will this impact development of the receiving app as it stands now? 
      • Owen:  Can't speculate what will be developed in any particular place. We are not looking to develop anything that is duplicating existing functionality. We will be having ongoing conversations with Dennis. 
    • From Brooks Travis to Everyone 08:26 AM
      Owen, does this work live in the project GitHub, or is it being tracked elsewhere?
      • Owen: Yes, it is in GitHub
    • From Carla Lindenmuth to Everyone 08:28 AM
      I used tags to indicate a title is bound so I can filter on that
    • From Brooks Travis to Everyone 08:28 AM
      Stat codes would also be useful, if you wanted more pre-defined “tags”
  • Questions from Owen: 
    • Predicting pieces: 
      • The Receiving app currently has the following fields for a piece:

        • Enumeration
        • Chronology 
        • Caption

        We are trying to understand how these relate to the information we would create as part of our predictions. 

    • Still working on analysis of requirements
    • Have been iterating designs
    • Expect at least one more major iteration before finalizing design
    •  
      • Owen: Would people use this?
      • Bjorn: Is it possible to define the label? Volume, Issue, Year.... is it possible to set the label for this? RDA rules say the label should be what is on the journal. 
        • Owen: Yes. We are looking at how to approach that, but there will be the ability to be able to specify what label. We want a flexible system so it can be labeled the way you want it.
      • From Sara Colglazier (MHC/5C) to Everyone 08:37 AM
        We were in ALEPH as well, but stopped using the prediction pattern etc functionality a few years back.
      • From Julie Stauffer to Everyone 08:39 AM
        I am not particularly interested in returning to predictive receiving. However I am interested in parallel enumeration/chronology for a single title, e.g., monthly issue, biannual supplements, and an annual index - all which have different enum/captioning requirements
      • Carla Lindenmuth:  Would like for there to not be any required fields. We only use the enumeration and chron field, not the caption. 
        • Owen: I do have questions about the caption, chronology, and enumeration fields in folio items. The caption field is you would define how to create the caption for the expeted pieces, not a place to put it in. 
    • Properties of predicted pieces 
      • The Receiving app currently has the following fields for a piece:

        • Enumeration
        • Chronology 
        • Caption

        We are trying to understand how these relate to the information we would create as part of our predictions

      • From Julie Stauffer to Everyone 08:46 AM
        I would be happy for caption to go away and rely only on enum and chron
      • From Julie Stauffer to Everyone 08:47 AM
        I would be happy for caption to go away and rely only on enum and chron
        I do want to distinguish among main/suppl/index
      • From Brooks Travis to Everyone 08:48 AM
        I’d be worried about barcode collisions…
      • From Lisa Smith, Mich State to Everyone 08:48 AM
        Mich State uses enum for vol. & no. and chron for date info.
      • From Kristin Martin (University of Chicago; she/her) to Everyone 08:49 AM
        Just a really basic question, can someone define "caption" and what it is that is distinctly different from enumeration and chronology?
      • From Carla Lindenmuth to Everyone 08:49 AM  V. Or no.
      • From Björn Muschall to Everyone 08:49 AM
        +1 Kristin
      • From Julie Stauffer to Everyone 08:50 AM
        If I recall correctly, “caption” is what existed in FOLIO receiving before enum/chron which were added later to communicate to Inventory item. Dennis is this correct?
      • From Nancy Finn to Everyone 08:52 AM
        In FOLIO, Caption field appears to be a text field
      • From Robert Heaton to Everyone 08:53 AM
        From https://lotus.docs.folio.org/docs/acquisitions/receiving/#add-piece Caption. A word, phrase or abbreviation indicating the parts into which the publisher has divided the serial, such as “volume,” “part,” or “band.” Copy number. The copy number of the piece. Enumeration. The enumeration of the piece which indicates the sequential numeric and/or alphabetic designation used by a publisher to identify the individual bibliographic or physical parts and to show the relationship of each part to the bibliographic unit as a whole. Chronology. The chronology of the piece, such as “year”, “month.”
      • From Kristin Martin (University of Chicago; she/her) to Everyone 08:54 AM
        Thank you Robert!
      • https://docs.folio.org/docs/metadata/inventory/#adding-a-year-caption
      • From Sara Colglazier (MHC/5C) to Everyone 08:56 AM
        As an example from MH:
        Caption: v.200:no.19/20(2022:Nov. 21/28) Double Issue  Enum: 200 19/20   Chron: 2022 11 21/28
    • Please share examples in slack: 
    • Interested in knowing your expectations of items and holdings updates on serial issue receipt/check-in

      • Do you create items for your serial issues?
      • Do you have summary holdings statements, and if so would you expect them to be updated on receipt?
    • From Dung-Lan Chen to Everyone 08:57 AM
      Owen, can you share the questions in the slack that you'd like to get people's feedback/practice?
    • From Julie Stauffer to Everyone 08:57 AM
      I would be happy to have additional discussions about serial receiving

Action items

  •