Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

  • please put an 'x' next to your name in the list below the "Discussion items" if you are attending. Thanks!


Discussion items

ItemWhoNotes
Product Council UpdateDracine Hodges

Update: Bjorn came to Product Council this morning to discuss for an "article processing charges" (APC) application. This will support a new business model for shifting to open access. The council thought it would be a great way to begin having infrastructure that could start to handle APCs. (See PC minutes for more info)

Moderators will be assigned for the face to face meeting. The sessions will be in 1 hour blocks. Groups can claim multiple blocks if needed. There will not be developer meetings, but some developers may be there. 

Face to face meeting planningLaura Wright

Meeting dates: June 17-19, Location/Hotel: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Crystal City,

300 Army Navy Drive, Arlington, VA 22202

Attendance fee: ~$100 ; Target number of attendees: ~120

Registration link:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/folio-meeting-june-2019-tickets-59544369813

Tentative agenda:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TwhNbJydkLNnd0ciLQpeJ1fIeQ2HIefMnH2tVAI9pVQ/edit?usp=sharing

If you are unable to attend in person and are invested in a particular topic (or more than one), let Laura know – we will find a way to set up a Zoom option

WOLFCON being planned for January 2020

Straw poll: who is planning on attending? It appears we have about 8 confirmed MM attendees, several "maybes" and at least 4 who will not be able to attend.

____________________________

If you will not be attending, but are interested in participating in a particular meeting, please let Laura know. She will set up a remote participation venue.

Subgroup Updates and Other Updates

No updates were reported.

Linked Data and FOLIO (FYI)

Sebastian's slides from today's "Coffee with FOLIO"

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Wj1yZvJ8iqOOzYZWGXIS4r-qyUaKXnZDzfdOyAHKklo/edit?usp=sharing

A link to the recording will be added when available.



Serials Receiving overviewDennis Bridges

Review of planned functionality in orders. User stories for Metadata Management needs?

Dennis Bridges can meet with us April 18 to discuss what is planned and what has been implemented for receiving and checking in materials.

See

UXPROD-1146 - Getting issue details... STATUS

UXPROD-193 - Getting issue details... STATUS - Dennis recommended looking at this Feature and its stories (linked below).

UIOR-159 - Getting issue details... STATUS

UIOR-161 - Getting issue details... STATUS

UIOR-167 - Getting issue details... STATUS

UIOR-173 - Getting issue details... STATUS


Google Doc where we can record use cases and functional requirements that we are thinking of from an inventory/metadata perspective: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18F68B1OjG0kgrsSpbHov_WhUzsr0cFYUPXSOBrj4T_E/edit#

"Display received issues on a holdings record" is described on the Inventory Data Model. This is planned for Q2.

____________________________________

There is a difference between "receiving" and "serials check-in".  It is up to the user where and when they will use a "check-in" workflow. Check-in can include one time orders or ongoing orders. 

There can be an check-in interaction with Inventory. "Pieces" live in the receiving act. It keeps track of when something is expected or has arrived. It bridges the gap between receiving and Inventory.  Often there will be an item for each piece. An example of when it a piece will not be an item: example: a CD that comes with a book.

Receiving flow vs. Checkin flow. Checkin is driven by the manual creation of piece records. The checkin workflow is on the order record. A PO has a checkin option.

Discussion:

  • "Caption" - "Is the "caption" part of the item record or does that just show in the P.O. check in line? Can I ask another question about caption? Is it the enumeration and chronology?" 
  • Jessica (Duke): Relationship between piece and item. Can you check in 5 pieces, but have one item for example? Pieces can exist without an item record. Pieces are not linked to item records. Can an item record be created from a piece? A new item record can be created, but it cannot be linked back to the piece. 
  • "Pieces" (for example - journals that have been checked in) should be able to be displayed in the discovery layer, but Dennis is not sure. 
  • Sebastian: "Should “pieces” actually be modeled explicitly as part of the instance/holdings/items. Like a new kind of entity, or an item without a barcode?" 
  • Christie expressed the need to have some uniformity with where data lies when there is an item record on a serials Instance vs. when it is in a state of "pieces", for reporting purposes.
  • The benefit of having a piece record is that something can be checked in without having to have something in Inventory. A piece would relate to a title, but have a caption (a place to include enumeration/chronology)
  • Kristen Wilson - If you have two or three print journal titles that come together as a bundle, and you want to check in three separate "pieces" even though the order is associated with a bundle, can this be accommodated.
  • Duke (via chat) "A use case that we at Duke were just discussing is the Membership Order which results in the receipt of several print resources (annual reports, journals, etc.). we would want to pay on something Not represented in inventory." – Denise - That will work in the current model. Check-in can be divorced from Inventory.


  • Multiple Graphical Representations

For future meeting (April 25?):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e6zlt7Gsd50W1HsRWWM6aerClXYe1l7XACaInVuWcoE/edit

Christie stated that this is a working document that she hopes everyone will read and respond to.

Problems:

  • If multiple forms of the value are represented in a single JSON object, both scripts have to be included in a single value cell. This limits the search function.
  • Chicago is testing graphical representation in FOLIO. Here is an example:

  • See MARC record: https://catalog.lib.uchicago.edu/vufind/Record/8539712/Details#tabnav
  • See JSON sample: (Christie will provide)
  • Functional requirements need to be built so developers can understand the issues. What would we like to have happen in FOLIO?
  • Proposed solution:
    • Single JSON object for the property, e.g., Title, with the ability to have an array of values for display (labels).

    • Values should allow for a property that identifies the script.

    • This would allow for the ability to configure displays to include multiple representations or a selection of representations.

Functional requirement: Create an instance record and be able to have multiple graphical representations of the language, or be able to put a non-transliterated title that can be searched in other scripts.

Ann-Marie (via chat):

"So is that functional requirement 1) to transliterate on the fly, then close the window and it's gone or 2) to transliterate on the fly and then store that transliteration into the Instance/SRS?"

Group: This may be too limited. There is a search and display issue.

Laura: Please comment on this document throughout the week. Charlotte suggested consulting a Niels as a next step.

Note: Charlotte has added following feature description (UXPROD) in Jira: 

UXPROD-1646 - Getting issue details... STATUS

Future meeting topics

Mapping to Inventory beyond MARC (being worked on by EAD mapping subgroup)

Authority Data (for June working meeting?)

Discovery

Search enhancements - possible also look at more general requirements for defining search, e.g. when to use: Phrase search, Truncating (left and/or right), Stemming, Nested search, Boolean search, etc. (TC and MM task)

Item record statuses and the apps that affect them


Charlotte: Music cataloging review of data elements would be helpful.

Felix (via chat) "@charlotte: I could ask a colleague (from one of the 180 network libraries) if she/he could review the beta elements from a 'musical' point of view."

Texas A&M may have a music cataloger that can help.

Christie offered to load cartographic and music data from other libraries into their test FOLIO instance.

Jennifer (via chat): We should also look at video as well. Videos have other standard numbers EAN for instance and fields that people like to search and discovery them by

present?

Name

Organization

xAaron TrehubAuburn
      Alice Krim

Ann-Marie BreauxEBSCO
XAnn KardosUMass Amherst

Charlotte WhittIndex Data
xChristie Thomas

Colin Van AlstineSmith (FC)

Damian Biagi

Dennis BridgesStacks

Dennis ChristmanDuke University

Dracine HodgesDuke University

ZBW

Filip Jakobsen

Jacquie SamplesDuke University

Jason Kovari

Jenn Colt

Jennifer EustisUMass Amherst

Jessica JaneckiDuke University

Kristen WilsonIndex Data
xLaura WrightU Colo Boulder

Lisa FurubottenTexas A&M
xLisa McCollLehigh University

Lisa Sjögren

Lynn Whittenberger

Martina Schildt

VZG

xMary AlexanderUniv. of Alabama

Nancy Lorimer

Stanford

xNatascha Owens

Niels Erik Nielsen

Patty Wanninger
xSara ColglazierMHC/5C
xSarah RossCornell

Sarah SchmidtDuke University

Tiziana Possemato

Theodor Tolstoy



Wayne SchneiderIndex Data