Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

  • please put an 'x' next to your name in the list below the "Discussion items" if you are attending. Thanks!





Discussion items

ItemWhoNotes
Notetaker needed
Thank you, Lisa Furubotten
Product Council UpdateDracine Hodges

PC talked about product owner needs, joined by Kate, to identify areas that need product owner.  Highest priority is User Management, current PO is leaving project end of June.   There is a page where possible volunteers can see what is needed.

Presentation on EBSCO's participation for the year. Will sustain current effort.

Update on Chalmer's implantation.  Next week they will present at FOLIO Forum.

Discussed budget and participation needed for further FOLIO development.  Plus other ideas about sustainability, GDPR.

Face to Face current count is 75 participants.

There will also be events at ALA, including panel with Chalmers.

Sebastian: Wayne Schneider from ID is joining a LoC working group to discuss MARC changes needed to accommodate RDA2. Work starts in Sept. If anyone is interested, feel free to ping Wayne.

Face to face meetingLaura Wright

Agenda:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1na2hOx0iHh6U1rhjut1NJnWb6qxJUcHgezK1-oVtHgo/edit#gid=1940789848

Cancel next week's meeting?Laura Wright
Subgroup Updates and Other Updates


Notes UpdateLaura Wright

What was the Notes helper app is now a Notes component. We need to make sure the interface makes it clear that this is different from notes that exist as part of record data (e.g., Instance notes).

Khalilah's slides.

Please respond to the poll in Slack. (FYI: you can vote for more than one!)

Workflows Proposal


MM SIG feedback needed; we will walk through Mike Gorrell's slides:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/10mJCpeoUEudLgLR5zpsixSNN2PbPNSRaiU01Sprrlck/edit#slide=id.g59cd4f7b69_0_3

Another copy of slides:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/10mJCpeoUEudLgLR5zpsixSNN2PbPNSRaiU01Sprrlck/edit#slide=id.g5910c9b562_0_76

Discussion:

  • Everyone speaking is very excited about this feature.
  • [Laura] We need to keep in mind that there will be further development beyond manual workflows, such that we don’t ask for in-app functionality or some other thing to replace Workflow feature which is more flexible and shareable?
  • “Manual” = checklist type process of things to do.   More advanced will be when the system is able to do some of the tasks (automate).
  • Product Council will need feedback from SIGs, use cases could be useful.
  • Question: What is the relationship with “Scheduling”. [Christie]
  • Question: what can we do to help advocate for this? Mike will talk to Paula about what specifically is needed.
  • We need to support to that there are not always operational requirements that push this always to the back of the list [Sebastian]
  • Could it combine with ability set default/preferences? Mike agrees with Jessica this would be useful and would be a good step with benefits.
  • Benefit of combining this with reporting feature.

Mike will get back to us on specific mechanisms of feedback.

Sebastian:  will need some developers to be 'set free' to forward this. 

Summary of MM responses: Members of the MM SIG are excited about the development of workflows in FOLIO. We see starting with manual processes as a rational and useful first step. This could potentially minimize (or even eliminate) the need to use multiple external tools to manage processes, particularly around electronic resources where workflows and tasks are shared across units and communication can be challenging.


Multiple Graphical Representations

(to be continued)

working document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e6zlt7Gsd50W1HsRWWM6aerClXYe1l7XACaInVuWcoE/edit

Problems:

  • If multiple forms of the value are represented in a single JSON object, both scripts have to be included in a single value cell. This limits the search function.
  • Chicago is testing graphical representation in FOLIO. Here is an example:

  • See MARC record: https://catalog.lib.uchicago.edu/vufind/Record/8539712/Details#tabnav
  • See JSON sample: (Christie will provide)
  • Functional requirements need to be built so developers can understand the issues. What would we like to have happen in FOLIO?
  • Proposed solution:
    • Single JSON object for the property, e.g., Title, with the ability to have an array of values for display (labels).

    • Values should allow for a property that identifies the script.

    • This would allow for the ability to configure displays to include multiple representations or a selection of representations.

Functional requirement: Create an instance record and be able to have multiple graphical representations of the language, or be able to put a non-transliterated title that can be searched in other scripts.

Note: Charlotte has added following feature description (UXPROD) in Jira: 

UXPROD-1646 - Getting issue details... STATUS


Christie expressed hesitation about being too prescriptive about what the JSON should look like. She suggested spending time on the Functional Requirements. Suggestions for additional functional requirements were added to the Google doc: DRAFT - Multiple graphical representations in FOLIO. (Also linked above.) 

The group also would like to make recommendations as to what this should look like in the FOLIO interface. Example systems that work well?


Future meeting topics


Inventory Permissions ( UXPROD-1371 - Getting issue details... STATUS )

Search enhancements - possible also look at more general requirements for defining search, e.g. when to use: Phrase search, Truncating (left and/or right), Stemming, Nested search, Boolean search, etc. (TC and MM task)

Authority Data and Inventory Vision (small group work first)

Discovery

Item record statuses and the apps that affect them

Music / Maps / Media cataloging review of data elements in Inventory

Felix (via chat) "@charlotte: I could ask a colleague (from one of the 180 network libraries) if she/he could review the beta elements from a 'musical' point of view."

Texas A&M may have a music cataloger that can help.

Christie offered to load cartographic and music data from other libraries into their test FOLIO instance.

Jennifer (via chat): We should also look at video as well. Videos have other standard numbers EAN for instance and fields that people like to search and discovery them by

https://wiki.folio.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=78336464

present?

Name

Organization


Aaron TrehubAuburn
      Alice Krim

Ann-Marie BreauxEBSCO

Ann KardosUMass Amherst

x

Charlotte WhittIndex Data
xChristie Thomas

Colin Van AlstineSmith (FC)

Damian Biagi

Dennis BridgesStacks
xDennis ChristmanDuke University
xDracine HodgesDuke University

ZBW

Filip Jakobsen
xJacquie SamplesDuke University

Jason Kovari

Jenn Colt

Jennifer EustisUMass Amherst
xJessica JaneckiDuke University

Kristen WilsonIndex Data
xLaura WrightU Colo Boulder

Lisa FurubottenTexas A&M

Lisa McCollLehigh University

Lisa Sjögren

Lynn Whittenberger

Martina Schildt

VZG

xMary AlexanderUniv. of Alabama

Nancy Lorimer

Stanford

xNatascha Owens

Niels Erik Nielsen
xPatty Wanninger
xSara ColglazierMHC/5C
xSarah RossCornell

Sarah SchmidtDuke University

Tiziana Possemato

Theodor Tolstoy



Wayne SchneiderIndex Data