Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

please put an 'x' next to your name in the list below the "Discussion items" if you are attending. Thanks!

Discussion items

Product Council Update

Discussion centered on the MVP document (Market Viable Product). This document was approved to move forward, guiding decision making over the following year. 

Harry Kaplanian previewed a presentation he is planning on giving at the stakeholders meeting in Cologne. 

The MVP may be given its own page on the FOLIO wiki.

Product Council will not meet next week due to the stakeholders meeting.


Subgroup Updates and Other Updates

Renaming of notes (e.g., Instance notes, Holdings notes, Item notes) to distinguish from "Notes" app that will be integrated (rather than being a helper app).

The naming of these can be changed at the institutional level if desired.

Role of Inventory

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1xUNm06LnI_4DHUvKWk5wlMlMARdee3izM_oD4wumKLw/edit#slide=id.g5d85ead0a1_0_26

There is a lack of agreement across FOLIO members as to what Inventory is, and what it should be. A working definition was attempted last year. 

The presentation linked here was used to guide today's discussion. 

Outstanding:

  • What do we mean when we say, "staff"? We need to be explicit about this?
  • We began, but did not complete a vision statement for Inventory. Feedback? - Group will work on at another time
  • How much data is or isn't needed in Inventory? - We need use cases.
    • Elements needed
      • Preceding/Succeeding Titles
      • Related Instances
    • Charlotte will speak with Resource Access and get their point of view as to scope.
    • Christie - Reference gap analysis saying that so many people need to access the data in different ways. Each institution has its own workflow and priorities. Inventory needs to be flexible so institutions can map the elements they need. Some institutions may not want to have underlying MARC. 
      • In general: what level of granularity is needed for Inventory?
      • Patty - said we could be focused on what are the minimum requirements for MVP - not forever. The question should be, what is essential for Q1 2020?
      • Felix pointed out that several German libraries are implementing in 2020 and they will not have underlying MARC. Felix - They need places to map data in - so many elements will be needed. Example that preceding/succeeding title element is necessary. Martina agreed with this emphasizing that the German libraries are early adopters.
      • Sebastian thought it was important to capture if an element is present, if it needs to have functionality immediately or if it can wait.
    • Format is another element that may need to be considered. Right now, Charlotte described the presentation as flat. She would prefer a hierarchical presentation.
    • Discovery layer would be fed from several storages. 
Batch Editing in FOLIO – may be postponed

Use cases for batch editing needs within and across apps:

1) Identification & selection of records to be acted on

2) Definition of edits to be made (and implementing those changes)

e.g., find/replace; delete field

UXPROD-120 - Getting issue details... STATUS


Multiple Graphical Representations

STILL ON HOLD for future meeting (possibly with representative members from Tech Council)

working document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e6zlt7Gsd50W1HsRWWM6aerClXYe1l7XACaInVuWcoE/edit

Problems:

  • If multiple forms of the value are represented in a single JSON object, both scripts have to be included in a single value cell. This limits the search function.
  • Chicago is testing graphical representation in FOLIO. Here is an example:

  • See MARC record: https://catalog.lib.uchicago.edu/vufind/Record/8539712/Details#tabnav
  • See JSON sample: (Christie will provide)
  • Functional requirements need to be built so developers can understand the issues. What would we like to have happen in FOLIO?
  • Proposed solution:
    • Single JSON object for the property, e.g., Title, with the ability to have an array of values for display (labels).

    • Values should allow for a property that identifies the script.

    • This would allow for the ability to configure displays to include multiple representations or a selection of representations.

Functional requirement: Create an instance record and be able to have multiple graphical representations of the language, or be able to put a non-transliterated title that can be searched in other scripts.

Note: Charlotte has added following feature description (UXPROD) in Jira: 

UXPROD-1646 - Getting issue details... STATUS


Christie expressed hesitation about being too prescriptive about what the JSON should look like. She suggested spending time on the Functional Requirements. Suggestions for additional functional requirements were added to the Google doc: DRAFT - Multiple graphical representations in FOLIO. (Also linked above.) 

The group also would like to make recommendations as to what this should look like in the FOLIO interface. Example systems that work well?


Future meeting topics

Source of truth (SRS). Review the FOLIO metadata flow based on test of the newly implementation of edit freeze of records in Inventory when having only SRS and Inventory installed. Is the freeze to happen between SRS and Inventory, or freeze of Inventory is only when there is a MARCcat equivalent of the Inventory record?

Rename the Notes accordion in Instance, Holdings, Item and Container record to be renamed, in order to distinguish between the new Notes app (https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1BMitl09O4C_cg2cN34T5ofZ88Xg3ub3RysDfS6Vue20/edit#slide=id.p) and the notes we have in the metadata records.


Inventory Permissions ( UXPROD-1371 - Getting issue details... STATUS )

Search enhancements - possible also look at more general requirements for defining search, e.g. when to use: Phrase search, Truncating (left and/or right), Stemming, Nested search, Boolean search, etc. (TC and MM task)

Authority Data and Inventory Vision (small group work first)

Discovery

Item record statuses and the apps that affect them

Music / Maps / Media cataloging review of data elements in Inventory

Felix (via chat) "@charlotte: I could ask a colleague (from one of the 180 network libraries) if she/he could review the beta elements from a 'musical' point of view."

Texas A&M may have a music cataloger that can help.

Christie offered to load cartographic and music data from other libraries into their test FOLIO instance.

Jennifer (via chat): We should also look at video as well. Videos have other standard numbers EAN for instance and fields that people like to search and discovery them by

https://wiki.folio.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=78336464

present?

Name

Organization


Aaron TrehubAuburn
      Alice Krim
xAnn-Marie BreauxEBSCO
xAnn KardosUMass Amherst

x

Charlotte WhittIndex Data
xChristie Thomas

Colin Van AlstineSmith (FC)

Damian Biagi

Dennis BridgesStacks

Dennis ChristmanDuke University

Dracine HodgesDuke University

ZBW

Filip Jakobsen

Jacquie SamplesDuke University

Jason Kovari

Jenn Colt

Jennifer EustisUMass Amherst

Jessica JaneckiDuke University

Kristen WilsonIndex Data
xLaura WrightCornell

Lisa FurubottenTexas A&M

Lisa McCollLehigh University

Lisa Sjögren

Lynn Whittenberger

Martina Schildt

VZG

xMary AlexanderUniv. of Alabama

Nancy Lorimer

Stanford

xNatascha Owens

Niels Erik Nielsen

Patty Wanninger
xRita AlbrechtHeBIS-Verbundzentrale

Sara ColglazierMHC/5C

Sarah RossCornell

Sarah SchmidtDuke University

Tiziana Possemato

Theodor Tolstoy



Wayne Schneider

Index Data