|5 min||Housekeeping||Andrea Loigman|
|40min||NCIP||Michelle Suranofsky||Discussion of NCIP functionality in FOLIO||FOLIO NCIP Planned Work|
|15min||Fines/fees||Holly Mistlebauer||Homework follow-up||Fine/fee calculation examples|
|Planned Release (if known)|
See notes below.
Please continue adding examples to the Google Doc.
- Lehigh uses NCIP for communication between OLE and RELAIS
- Focusing on current model - ground work - four services
- Accept Item
- NCIP API calls are made through an edge module - it's really two modules - a FOLIO Edge module that sits on the outside, and passes it into the NCIP module.
- This means that for the API to be called, there is no authentication that takes place. But, the software that is calling the module has to pass in an API key. So your FOLIO admin generates an API key, and that's what you give to your vendor.
- In FOLIO, the API key is attached to a user. The edge module takes the key and translates it to a FOLIO user. So the created-by timestamp will show the user record connected to the API key.
- Michelle created the user through the API. She thinks it could also happen through the user interface. It's an operator user.
- Demoing services
- Lookup User
- demoing with the XML call. It returns what the request XML asks for. Returns user status - are they OK, are they blocked. If there is a request block or checkout block, it returns as blocked.
- She has also implemented an item block check and a fine block check that she did b/c they did that in OLE, but that is not part of FOLIO by default right now.
- The rules live in a text file, and when NCIP is launched, the file is stored on a server.
- She has it creating an instance, holding, and item.
- Added code to resource identifier to make it possible to search by code.
- It creates a page for a person - because item is available, it forces a page. (hard coded into FOLIO right now.)
- Accept Item requires a lot of properties to be configured.
- NCIP has the idea of an agency ID, that can be used to then specify properties associated with the agency ID.
- What if you have multiple instances of Relais? (Not sure.)
- Lookup User
- Can NCIP push / configure multiple loan types? Which could then go into circ rules.
- OCLC has talked about pushing over a material type?
- What happens if the material type or loan type doesn't exist in FOLIO already?
- Andrea - have we talked to Rapid or IndexData about their needs? (E.g., ReShare.)
- Michelle spoke to Sebastian a long time ago - before ReShare was really official. Andrea will bring up with ReShare to make connection.
- Are there others using NCIP for other stuff?
- SIP2 - self-check protocol - pretty much all of us.
- German libraries:
- PAIA ( Patrons Account Information API)
- DAIA ( Document Availability Information API)
- GOSSIP (Good Old Server for Standard Interchange Protocol) - GOSSIP is homegrown.
- NCIP might have the potential to replace PAIA2 (patron information) and DAIA2 (item Information) interfaces in GBV - along with SIP2 (3M).
- Andrea - do we have off-site storage needs to manage here? Not sure.
- Accept item in OLE would trigger a notice. Michelle ended up configuring around that with OLE.
- Consensus - we'd like to rely on FOLIO to do the notices. No need for NCIP to trigger any notices as part of their process.
- Michelle is planning for capacity to include / extend services.
- What does transaction logging look like in the FOLIO app? We'd like rich logging - this implementation is more dependent on server admin.
- Mark - we will need the ability to find and remove these ephemera records.
- Erin - how will the maintenance of these records be handled? Needs to be flagged with MM.
- Andrea - will follow up with Charlotte Whitt in a separate meeting.
- Initial question about fine / calculation - 12 or 24 hour clock? Holly - this is a preference in FOLIO that we'll need to accommodate.
- Fines will be attached to the loan policy. Loan policies are re-usable, but if some patron groups are not charged fines and some are, you will need different loan policies even if the other stuff is correct.
- Examining a Duke demo on the spreadsheet as an example.testing
- Backdating can happen - should be used for fine calculation.
- Examining Carsten example from GBV -- very very complicated.
- This is historic practice, also required by administrative / government rules.
- Could be possible to create these as separate weeks. Assigning multiple separate week fines to do the correct increment of fines - but then question about how notices are handled.
- Suggestion of a separate meeting focused on the German fine / notice needs. Holly will schedule.
- Please continue adding to the spreadsheet examples! Especially consortia and other examples with specific needs.