FOLIO will be implementing locations as follows:
- Permanent and temporary locations can be assigned at the holding level
- Locations from the holdings record are automatically inherited by any items associated with the holding
- BUT both permanent and temporary location can be overridden at the item level, if needed
- When item-level overrides are removed, the inheritance from the holding resumes
The "effective location" is used by FOLIO and other integrated systems to know the current home location for an item. This will be used to determine the appropriate loan policy, where it needs to be reshelved etc. It is the effective location that will be displayed in other apps for item records in FOLIO (e.g. Check out, Check in, Loans, Requests etc).
Note that there is discussion (January 2021) of adding an effective location field to the holdings record as well, to accommodate use cases for holdings w/o items.
Logic for Calculating the Effective Location
The determination of Effective Location is a ring-down algorithm. The first Location to be found in the following ring-down order will be used as the Effective Location
- Item Temporary Location
- Item Permanent Location
- Holdings Temporary Location
- Holdings Permanent Location