Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
  • Date

Attendees

  • @Sharon Beltaine
  • @Ingolf Kuss
  • Katalin Lovagné Szűcs
  • Robert Sass
  • @Joanne Leary
  • @Anne L. Highsmith
  • @Peter Murray
  • Charlotte Whitt
  • @Simona Tabacaru
  • @Scott Perry
  • Doreen Herold
  • @Vince Bareau
  • Harry Kaplanian
  • Michael Winkler

  • Christine Wise
  • John Krug

  • Tod Olson

  • @Claudius Herkt-Januschek
  • @Ginny Boyer


Goals

  • Review SIG participation role descriptons
  • Ask questions about Technical Architecture and Codex
  • Discuss use case development

Discussion items

TimeItemWhoNotes

Assign notetaker,

take attendance,

review and add agenda items

Sharon Beltaine

Previous Notetaker: Peter Murray

Today's Notetaker:

  • Simona Tabacaru
 SIG compositionSharon Beltaine

Review of Reporting SIG composition: please review front page of Reporting SIG and make updates to your role description

  • Reporting SIG members are encouraged to update their information on the Reporting SIG Roles table on the Reporting SIG Home page.

https://wiki.folio.org/display/RPT/Reporting+SIG+Home

  • Sharon will take the information to the Product Council to see if there are any gaps to fill in the Reporting SIG
 Folio Architecture Peter Murray

Questions on Peter Murray's "Deep Technical View of FOLIO Architecture" presentation?

  • Q1: Are there any systems that follow the same lines as FOLIO Architecture?
  • A1: FOLIO Architecture it’s first of its kind in libraries, but the notion of micro services and API gateway is not new to the software industry.Facebook, Amazon, Netflix are built on micro services. It helped Netflix to get off the ground faster without having to commit big server resources to monolithic applications, because micro services modules run independently.
  • Q2: Can libraries create the reports they need quickly? How does it compare to other systems that are structured in a “traditional” way?
  • A2: The system will not be a production transactions database to do reports, but we’ll be able to do the kinds of reports that we are used to doing. We’ll probably use a SQL system to pull data out in Excel from the Reporting database in real time. The Reporting database is kept up to date.

  • Q3: How can we get historical information into the Reporting database?
  • A3: Currently, it is not clear what the structure of the Reporting database is going to be, but there will be a data migration.
  • Q4: By using Codex to get metadata will the operational system be affected?
  • A4: Peter envisions that all Codex metadata will be in the Reporting database. Vince said that Codex provides a navigational structure that lets you locate or identify where detail records might exist. Codex will not be impacted. The impact on the operational system will be minimal. The system is still in development, developers are still trying to figure out what is going into the system.
  • Q5: How the data will work across systems? For example how is data from 2-3 applications integrated? Data standardization may be an issue since the services/apps are developed independently?
  • A5: Data standardization will take place in an external system, like data lake. The idea is to have each application contribute data to a data lake, where data is normalized. Analytical reports will be created here.
  • Q6: Do we have an example of systems that are out there and what kind of reports are being generated? What kind of reporting can Amazon, Netflix, Facebook, etc. do? Is there an example from academic libraries?
  • A6: It probably exists; for example a non-campus financial system needs to be merged in with reporting and evaluation of purchases within the libraries.  These systems don’t necessarily know about each other.

One example suggested: Symplectic Elements (used at Duke Univ.)

http://symplectic.co.uk/products/elements/

Implementation and data integration need to be factored into planning.



Folio CodexVince Bareau

Questions on Vince Bareau's "Folio Codex and Reporting" presentation?

  • Some questions on Folio Codex have been answered on the discussion webpages.
  • Q: Qulto is looking at Analytics tools and they will have 12 X2 week sprints. What is their charge?
  • A: Qulto is researching what is available in the space of open source tools that can be used for reporting. They are specifically looking at how to push data to a data lake. They are not charged with building these things, but coming up with a design.  The direction is to look at new ways to doing reporting.
  • Q: Can you give examples?
  • A: NY Times indexed their entire archive of articles using Hadoop technology (which is now old)

Graph databases that use linked data: that create reports that generate inferences; manage relationships between items.


Use CasesSharon Beltaine

Developing use cases for reports on data within an app, reports on data that span apps, reports on data that span FOLIO systems

  • Sharon has classified Cornell's reports into categories (See Acq resource tab)
  • A new Column L has been added- Within App, Cross-App, or Cross-System

This type of classification will show developers what libraries are doing today that crosses different areas.

  • Q: Who else is doing the same kind of report? Add the name of the institution in a separate column?
  • A: Other institutions can add their names in column B for reports they also do.

If more institutions are using the same kind of reports, it will give developers an idea of reporting priorities

Sharon will delete the use case sheet from the master spreadsheet.


Other topics?All?

Next Meeting Agenda

(December 18)

All

Agenda items for December 18 Meeting:

-introductions for Kevin Walker from University of Alabama

-performance issues for reporting tools

-Duke rep for distributed reporting (Sharon to contact Ginny Boyer)

-Sharon to follow up with David Dahl

-(Product Council) Cate's report: CODEX development behind

-Peter Murray to discuss his Report on Business Intelligence consultant conversation

-discuss Folio End of Year Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuga3qQMdaw

-next meeting is January 8


Action items

  •