Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

Attendees

Goals

Discussion items

TimeItemWhoNotes
5 minReview outstanding action itemsAll
45 minTC Charter review; continue discussion from 2021-07-21All

Continue the discussion from last week of the Tech Council Charter review. Those deliverables are substantial, and probably need to be (a) revisited and (b) better surfaced within the larger FOLIO community.

***

  • there is a lack of agreement about the meaning of the term "blueprint", so while we have some work here, it isn't clearly a deliverable yet
  • FOLIO-platform vs LSP Base etc: on-going
  • Definition of done: we have done some work here
  • Jeremy Huff: some of these things don't exist at all; some exist but aren't perfect. Maybe we should prioritize the things that don't exist at all, then prioritize the things that are crucial but imperfect. (General agreement)
  • Best practices: various efforts have come and gone but generally petered out. Decision log covers some of this? It sure does, but there's a lot of history there too and we don't have a nice summary. Mark Veksler: may be useful to update BP documentation as part of the release process to make sure it stays up to date. Jeremy Huff: perhaps we should have a calendar of when the TC revisits these kinds of documentation? e.g. annually, quarterly, etc? 
  • RFCs: Marc Johnson: have subsequent decisions superseded this, i.e. can/should we amend our charter? Craig McNally: we have the decision log etc; maybe we should generalize the language here and call it done? Mark Deutsch : RFCs need a lot of internal motivation to go spend time on an RFC process; we generally don't find that. Marc Johnson: the general decisions sort of coalesce from the team-specific/project-specific decisions. Vince Bareau: it becomes even more important as the project matures to have a place to capture contentious or inter-module decisions. How does the decision log relate to the RFCs? Craig McNally: tech leads, solutions architects, et al have helped bring these kinds of topics to TC. This is good! If you see something, say something! Marc Johnson  raising this stuff up to the TC can have social implications if folks feel like their decisions are being second-guessed. 
  • Harry Kaplanian FYI other council charters were recently reevaluated; TC's charter is newer but perhaps consider whether it, not just its deliverables, should be revisited and updated.
5 minPolicy / Process for accepting external code submissionsAll
  • Harry Kaplanian reached out to Marc Johnson last week to ask if the TC had a documented process for this.
  • It also came up in the release status meeting that there are external projects that have requested to be included in the official distribution
  • And it came up during the TC's conversation about it's charter
  • This also came up as part of a conversation about inclusion of LDP in the FOLIO release.  
    • From Mike GorrellWe discussed the LDP App at Community Council today. We agreed that it was a PC decision on whether they wanted the LDP App included in FOLIO Releases, and the TC's role to define a process for an App that's compatible with FOLIO but not part of the FOLIO code repository to be included in FOLIO Releases.
  • This is not the first time this, or very similar topics have come up.  Given how busy our agenda has been lately, it's probably a good idea to ask for a volunteer to lead this effort, with most of the leg-work being done by a subgroup.  The TC would review once something is ready.
  • ***
  • Marc JohnsonJeremy HuffCraig McNallyIan Walls, and Zak_Burke to form a working group and begin this discussion.
5 minFuture Topics
  • Dennis Benndorf: discuss S3/min.io on 2021-08-04
  • *** did not schedule the following *** 
  • Define what constitutes Platform vs LSP Base vs Extended Apps on an ongoing basis
    • Raised as part of last weeks review of the TC Charter
    • Could be combined with the Kafka and Min.io topics below
  • FOLIO Architectural Blueprint / Roadmap
    • Raised as part of last weeks review of the TC Charter
  • Accept Kafka into the FOLIO platform
    • Recently I've been asked if Kafka is part of the FOLIO platform and can be used by modules
    • At the moment, Kafka is not an official part of the FOLIO platform and modules can only use it with approval
    • Given the increasing use of Kafka, I propose we discuss making it an official part of the platform that all modules can use
  • Accept Min.io into the FOLIO platform
    • Recently I've been asked if min.io is part of the FOLIO platform and can be used by modules
    • At the moment, Min.io / S3 integration is not an official part of the FOLIO platform, yet it is being used by modules
    • Given that folks need a persistent file storage mechanism, I propose we discuss making it an official part of the platform that all modules can use

Action items