Marc Johnson to Everyone 11:04 AM
AFAIK the Tri-council group has not finalised it’s charter yet
Jenn Colt to Everyone 11:05 AM
Marc Johnson to Everyone 11:11 AM
We discussed PostgreSQL 13 vs. 15 was on a Wednesday
Marc Johnson 11:11 AM
Last Wednesday IIRC
Tod Olson 11:11 AM
My recollection also.
Jenn Colt to Everyone 11:27 AM
Maybe they were reacting to my confusion
Jenn Colt to Everyone 11:42 AM
Maccabee Levine to Everyone 11:43 AM
Not a quorum
Tod Olson to Everyone 11:49 AM
Shall take up Quesnelia OST for Postresql and Grails? I may be proved wrong, but that scope seems straightforward.
Owen Stephens to Everyone 11:59 AM
At least affected: Agreements, Licenses, Open Access (not in Flower release), Serials (new for Quesnelia)
Marc Johnson 11:59 AM
And service interactions?
|NA||Meeting Summary with AI Companion|
Meeting summary for Tech Council (FOLIO) (11/20/2023)
The team discussed various topics including the delay in the poppy announcement, an update on application formalization, and potential impacts on app interactions. They also scheduled topics for the upcoming period, recognized Julian's contribution to the security team, addressed breaking changes in the Postgres version 15 upgrade, and emphasized the importance of individual development and release cycles for applications. The team also discussed handling multiple RFPs in parallel due to bandwidth constraints and dependencies, and the importance of including "backwards compatibility" in the scope statements for their systems.
PC Meeting: Notes, Tasks, and Updates
Craig confirmed that Yakov had taken notes in the previous meeting and assigned the task to Taras for the current one. Tod discussed three main topics in the PC meeting, including a poppy delay announcement, an update on application formalization, and concerns about potential formalization impacts on app interactions. The team also discussed scheduling topics for the upcoming period and balancing interaction with the Sigs. The charter was drafted but not finalized. The team reported progress on the security team and recognized Julian's contribution. They also addressed the issue of breaking changes in the Postgres version 15 upgrade, deciding to hold off until the Ramp phase. Zak provided an update on the RFCs, noting he was working on addressing feedback, and identified a potential bandwidth issue regarding the number of RFCs in progress.
Application Formalization and Management RFCs Presented
Craig presented two draft RFCs regarding application formalization and management. The first RFC defined an application and its components, while the second focused on application management aspects such as registration, creation, and management. Craig suggested submitting the first RFC before the second one, with the second targeted for submission in the coming weeks. He also discussed the current state of application development, proposing changes to UI bundles and the need to address intermodal linking, static asset loading, and dynamic loading and unloading of application bundles. Craig emphasized the importance of these changes to allow individual development and release cycles for applications. He also discussed adjustments to the user experience, inspired by a comment from Maccabee, with an estimated timing of mid to late December. Lastly, Craig proposed the introduction of the concept of boundary context to align with application boundaries, addressing cross-module database access, data ownership, and data integrity.
Application Formalization Process and RFP Handling
Craig outlined the sequence and timing of the application formalization process and sought feedback on the next steps, which included addressing outstanding comments and possibly advancing to the preliminary review stage. Jenn confirmed the process allows moving forward to the next stage after a meeting, while Marc suggested voting on all application-related matters to streamline the process. The team also discussed the complexities of handling multiple Request for Proposals (RFPs) in parallel due to bandwidth constraints and dependencies. They agreed on the need to vote on the RFPs quickly and move them to the RFC stage once written up, while also considering voting on them individually. Craig clarified Maccabee's scope question, indicating that the preliminary review stage was about nailing down the scope and general direction before moving forward.
RFC Development and Bounded Context Confusion
There was a discussion about the scope and development of an RFC related to database access issues. Maccabee raised concerns about the overlap between this RFC and another one concerning 'bounded context', and whether the former was meant to replace the latter. Craig confirmed that the RFC was still in progress and clarified that its scope did not include the 'bounded context'. Marc also expressed confusion about the distinction between the RFCs, but after further clarification, he agreed that they were separate issues. Craig suggested that if the matter needed further discussion, they could keep the 'bounded context' RFC in the preliminary review stage until it was sorted out.
Backwards Compatibility in Scope Statements
Marc and Craig discussed the importance of including "backwards compatibility" in the scope statements for their systems, particularly for the UI bundle and the UI bundles one. Marc expressed concern about the potential for systems to operate without any use of applications and the impact this could have on the definitions and operations of their modules. Craig agreed to incorporate this into the scope statements. They also touched on philosophical debates that could arise from decisions based on the boundaries of applications, and how these decisions could impact system operations.
Project Progress and Upcoming Meeting Concerns
Marc and Craig discussed the progress of a project, with Marc expressing his concerns and questions. Craig suggested that Marc leave comments on certain project documents so he could address them. The issue of the upcoming Wednesday meeting was raised, with concerns about attendance and whether there would be a quorum. Despite this, they decided to move the project forward based on verbal agreements to update the scope statements. Marc and Craig voted in favor of moving the project components to the next stage, with Maccabee also voting in favor.
Projects, Comments, Improvements, Official Support, Timing, and React
Craig discussed the decision to move forward with certain projects and changes related to backwards compatibility. He asked Maccabee and Marc to add comments to the RFC for tracking discussions and resolutions. Craig also highlighted the need for improvements in the commenting system and the progression of merged updates and RFCs. The conversation shifted to the upkeep process of officially supported technologies, with a particular focus on timing of activities and milestones. Craig suggested moving the project forward from draft to accepted, and then to active. Lastly, Craig asked Zak to confirm the relevance of the react and stripes 90 versions for queue.
Stripes, React, and Grail Upgrade Discussions
Zak and Craig discussed potential breaking changes in the 'stripes' project, with Zak confirming the need to resolve this issue by a tentative deadline next Monday. They also stressed the importance of third-party decisions before moving forward. A discussion about the version of 'react' and its dependencies occurred, with Zak needing to investigate further. The team agreed not to make any changes to test-related technologies without further investigation to avoid confusion among developers. Craig led a discussion about upgrading from Grail's 5 to 6 due to public support ending in June, with the team deciding to make a decision on this and other related upgrades as soon as possible, even if it meant dealing with potential consequences later. The team also decided to cancel the Wednesday meeting due to a small expected turnout.
• Taras will take notes for the next meeting.
• Zak will discuss the date-time values RFC with Julian and try to move it to the next stage.
• Craig will update the scope statements for the RFCs based on the discussed concerns.
• Zak will check on the React and Stripes versions by next Monday.
• Craig will reach out to Yogesh for thoughts on the testing stack dependencies.