For current documentation on the check out app, see https://docs.folio.org/docs/access
Items being checked out must have an associated record in Inventory with a barcode assigned to the item.
Staff members using the app must have a service point assigned to their user record in the Users app. The checkout is recorded as having happened at the service point that the staff member has associated to their record during the Check Out session.
There are two permissions you can assign to users for this app (info current as of Honeysuckle):
- Check out: All Permissions - includes permissions in Check Out: Check Out Circulating Items plus the ability to override a checkout.
- Check out: Check Out Circulating Items - should include all permissions needed to check out items
- Check out: View fees/fines
- Check out: View loans
- Check out: View requests
Describe out of the box fields, including designed purpose, data requirements and validation, dependencies between fields.
Describe out of the box accordion menus, including purpose of the menus, customization options, and associated permission controls (if any)
Describe any workflows available through navigation menus, including purpose of the workflow, customization options, and associated permission controls.
The app will display in two panes - the left hand pane (Scan Patron Card) is for looking up / displaying the patron record, and the right hand pane (Scan Items) is for displaying the item(s) as they are checked out.
When a patron record is successfully found, the following fields display in the left hand pane:
- Borrower (highlighted in gray box)
- Patron Group
- User Expiration
- Displays as '-' if no expiration date is found
- Open Loans
- Click the number to open a pop-up with open loan information
- Fee/Fines Owed
- Amount owed in total - click the amount to open the user record to view more fine information
- Open Requests
- Click the number to go to the Requests app to view the patron's open requests
- Patron Blocks
- Displays as '-' if no blocks are on the patron record
- If there are blocks, a pop-up window with the block information will display
On the right hand pane, when an item is checked out, the following fields display:
- just indicates the number of the loan in the session - increments by one.
- Item barcode
- Item title (pulled from Instance record)
- Loan Policy
- Name of the loan policy that was applied
- Due Date
- Due Time
- More Details icon (...)
- Item Details
- Opens item record in the Inventory App
- Loan Details
- Opens Loan Details on the user's record in the User App
- Loan Policy
- Opens Loan Policy in Settings → note that you have to have appropriate permissions to see the loan policy
- Change Due Date
- Opens a pop-up window to allow you to change the due date on one or more of the loans that have been checked out in that session
- Item Details
Describe pathways for searching in the app/feature through the UI.
Describe fields that are indexed in the back end specifically for searching
Describe any advanced searching features and how they would work.
Describe available tasks that can be conducted in the app. To document those tasks, create a new page and link it to this page.
Describe action-based permissions that are connected to these functional workflows, if any.
There are no reports directly available in the Check Out App.
- Many libraries will want patrons to be able to use self-check machines for check out. These do not interact with the check out app but usually use a protocol like NCIP.
Considerations for Implementation