Page tree

Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.


In progress observed while Sprint 70
Action PlanNotes
November Retro 
  •  Gather details on broken sample data and pass to back-end devs to get it fixed.

  •  Leave a comment /assign to Craig some UI stories that are waiting for BE stories to be created. Otherwise it is hard to understand that the story is not ready to be started as there are no links to any blocking back-end stories as they are not yet created.

Sprint 73-74 Retro 
  •  Negotiate updated schedule with Thunderjet and all the involved teams/POs.
Updated schedule was created and reviewed/approved by all POs and SMs. 
  •  Better sync up before groomings to check priorities on back-end/front-end.
    Dennis, Craig, Ann-Marie have regular meetings set up.

In progress. Regular meeting is scheduled for Dennis, Craig, and Ann-Marie.

  •  Speed up PR reviews. Separate channel for BE devs to coordinate PR reviews.
Separate channel for BE devs to coordinate PR reviews was created.
Sprint 71-72 Retro Board
  •  Viachaslau Khandramai Aliaksei Chumakou to make sure interface versions are updated together with PRs containing breaking changes without waiting until a release to be created. It is necessary to inform about such updates in #development channel 2-3 days prior the update, so that all the dependent modules can adjust to accept new major version.
In progress. Review after Q4 release.
In progress.
Sprint 69-70 Retro Board
  •  Victoria Rabykina  to create label for every two sprints to be used to mark the stories to be later shown on Demo.

In progress.

acq-demo70-71 was created.

  •  @Team  do squash and merge to keep clean git commit history.
In progress.
  •  Dennis Bridges  to involve designer earlier in requirements collection. UX is being overshadowed at times by functional constraints.
In progress.
Sprint 67-68 Retro Board
  •  Craig McNallyto follow up with Anton about API tests. To discover issues introduced by the changes in the modules particular ACQ module depends on, it would be great to have API tests running against some environment at least once a day. Like UI regression tests which can fail but the result does not block deployments.

Story created for DevOps.  

Jira
serverFOLIO Issue Tracker
columnskey,summary,type,created,updated,due,assignee,reporter,priority,status,resolution
serverId6ccf3fe4-3301-368a-983e-20c466b11a49
keyFOLIO-2198

  •  @Team to make sure that Links are added to stories/bugs to indicate any dependencies. Better coordination should be done in case there is "has to be finished together with" link - one should coordinate merging with anyone working on that related task to avoid downtime.
Ongoing. Improvements confirmed by the team while sprints 69-76.
  •  @Team to be more careful about merging breaking changes. When merging schema changes, also make it a point to update the depending modules to latest version along with it so that we know for sure that there are no breaking changes. 
In progress.
  •  @Team Release PR must be merged to master only after(or along with) ensuring all the dependent modules have been released/updated to support latest version
In progress. To be revisited after Q3.2 delivery.
  •  Victoria Rabykina Get spreadsheet updated by all the teams with interface versions on the date of feature freeze.
In progress. To be revisited after Q3.2 delivery.
  •  @Team suggest to DevOps to roll back failing build to have at least one working env.

Story created for DevOps.  

Jira
serverFOLIO Issue Tracker
columnskey,summary,type,created,updated,due,assignee,reporter,priority,status,resolution
serverId6ccf3fe4-3301-368a-983e-20c466b11a49
keyFOLIO-2210

Sprint 65-66 Retro Board
  •  @Team to keep dependency graph on Confluence updated to include any new dependencies (even if we are not planning to release the involved modules).
In progress. To be revisited after Q3.2 delivery.
  •  @Team to create PRs for UI beforehand and get them merged by Ebsco devs (US time zone) after back-end updates are available on reference envs to minimize downtime.
In progress
  •  @Team to explicitly inform POs about any stories pending review and postponing release creation, so that the stories can be reviewed and closed before we need to create a release. Link any release-related blockers to the release stories, and then actually block the release Jiras until the missing reviews have been handled.

Ongoing. No issues observed while Q3.1 delivery.

Ongoing. Successfully done while Q3.1 release.

  •  Ann-Marie Breaux  to schedule a meeting with DevOps guys to have some insights on their processes and better understand how we can improve release procedure
Done.
  •  Craig McNallyVictoria Rabykina to have a coordination meeting within the team before a release to explicitly mention who and when is going to release different modules to consider dependencies and minimize downtime.
Ongoing. Improvements observed while Q3.1 delivery.
  •  Ann-Marie Breaux,  Dennis Bridges to make sure the statuses and assignees of new stories are correct, so that it is clear for the team what is ready to be reviewed on groomings. (DRAFT and assigned to PO (if PO is still working on requirements) vs. OPEN and Unassigned (if the story is ready to be groomed))
In progress. Improvements confirmed by the team while sprints 67-76.
In progress.
Sprint 63-64 Retro Board
  •  Victoria Rabykina to schedule additional Grooming sessions instead of some Standups to get more stories reviewed before plannings.
Confirmed as helpful. Should be organized on demand.
In progress.
Planning was adjusted according to separate coefficients for Back-end vs Front-end.
Sprint 62 Retro Board
  •  Victoria Rabykinato switch to monthly Retros. Make sure the virtual Retro Board is created and shared to the team to add their cards while sprints are in progress.
Board created and shared via daily Standup Notes.
  •  Dennis Bridgesto focus more on the larger workflows to work properly (and not on 1 field or 1 screen).

  •  Dennis Bridges to organize learning sessions on interaction between different modules.

  •  Aliaksei Chumakou to create stories for refactoring /technical debt required for UIORGS and other modules. Make sure we gradually refactor legacy code to make further development smoother.
Ongoing. Creation of stories confirmed while sprint 63-68.
  •  @Team to review some more stories whenever we have some time available after Standups.
The team decided to add additional Grooming meetings instead of some Standups.
Sprint 61 Retro Board
  •  @Team should not forget to test locally before submitting PRs.
In progress.
  •  @Team should be more pro-active reviewing PRs. One should not wait until the team is pinged in Slack to review a PR. Every dev should start their day by looking on Board and checking whether any reviews are required and provide at least one review. It can help to wrap up work faster.
In progress.
  •  @Team should ask on Standup or in Slack before picking up an OPEN story assigned to someone else. We need to make sure the work on it hasn't been started yet.
Ongoing. No issues observed while Sprint 62-69.
Sprint 60 Retro Board
  •  @Team to review updates more carefully to avoid cases when code coverage drops or any other possible issues.
In progress.
In progress.
Sprint 59 Retro Board
  •  @Team Merging of interrelated PRs should be better coordinated (a person responsible for coordination must be appointed, list of all PRs compiled).

Ongoing. Improvements confirmed while sprint 60-62.

  •  @Team Make sure that additional Bugs/Stories added last minute are safe and push back on anything that can break release.
Ongoing. Improvements confirmed while sprint 60-68.
  •  Victoria Rabykina Use Zoom account for a month when there are 15+ attendees on the call. Switch back to Slack when we are under 15.
Switched back to Slack while Sprint 60 as we are now within 15 ppl limit.
  •  Improve prioritization of stories in backlog. Get indication of releases (Q1, Q2).
Ongoing. Improvements confirmed while sprint 60-69.
  •  Dennis Bridges Clarify upcoming themes to work on while Sprint Planning.

Ongoing. Improvements confirmed while sprint 60-62.

Sprint 58 Retro Board
  •  @Team to add their names at the end of a retro item to make it easier for everyone to know who wrote it.

Ongoing. Worked well while Sprint 59 Retro.

  •  @Team to create new stories/bugs in Draft and assign to PO for review. PO should update and confirm acceptance criteria and move to Open for the team to review and estimate.

Ongoing. Statuses and descriptions were added to Acquisitions - Jira Hints.

  •  @Team to be more active adding cards to Retro Board.

Ongoing

Sprint 57 Retro Board
  •  @Team Before we move our story to In Review column, add some evidence of whatever was verified (screenshots, clarifications). So whoever reviews the story afterward can use that information to verify further in detail.

Ongoing. Improvements observed while Sprint 58-59 and confirmed by PO.

In progress.
  •  @Team Keep API tests up-to-date.
In progress.
Only UIF module has the coverage of <80% due to legacy code. There is no sense investing time into increasing coverage now as the module is planned to be reworked and coverage will be added while working on stories. All the other modules are >80% covered.
  •  @Team Feature and code freeze to be respected by all the devs in the team and outside. Craig McNally to discuss with some external teams.
Ongoing. Improvements confirmed while Sprint 58-62.
Sprint 56 Retro Board
  •  @Team and Piotr Kalashuk Add sample API call and response data in appropriate MOD* tickets, so ui-team can work with API before back-end code is merged.
In progress.
  •  @Team Delete branches after merging or closing PRs.

Ongoing. Improvements confirmed by the team while Sprint 57-59.

  •  @Team Brainstorm ways to spread the load on reviewing back-end stories and accepting before closing (rotation).

Ongoing. It was agreed that each sprint there will be some volunteers to help Craig check back-end stories In Review and accept.

  •  @Team Subtasks / Separate stories for tests linked to implementation story via "should be done together with".

Ongoing. The team agreed that ideally every story should include tests. In case it is more convenient for a dev, a sub-task for tests can be created within a story. For the modules without coverage, we need to add separate stories to create tests.

  •  @Team Create Template for back-end stories/bugs.

Ongoing. 

Jira
serverFOLIO Issue Tracker
columnskey,summary,type,created,updated,due,assignee,reporter,priority,status,resolution
serverId6ccf3fe4-3301-368a-983e-20c466b11a49
keyMODINVOSTO-6
- preferred format was offered. It is not possible to create a specific template as the focus of back-end stories is more on content rather than on format.

Sprint 55 Retro Board
  •  @Team Add Retro cards beforehand to save time during the meeting.

Ongoing. Improvements observed while Sprint 56-57 Retro.

  •  @Team to better coordinate breaking changes to be merged and consider all the dependencies between modules. Be careful about incrementing versions and make sure all the related modules are ready so support the change. Follow the Pre-merge checklist to be prepared by Craig and reviewed by the team.
Pre-merge Checklist is now available in PR template.
  •  Dennis Bridges, @Team to use templates while creating UI Stories or Bugs.
Acquisitions - Definition of Ready is updated with pre-formatted templates to be used.
  •  Victoria Rabykina to balance planning to reserve some time available for any urgent issues/dependencies to be dragged into sprint. Also avoid taking a lot of successive tasks as delaying one of them delays all the chain that cannot be completed within the sprint.

Ongoing. As agreed the team should focus on 2-3 features while planning. The draft of Acquisitions - Roadmap was created to visualize the features and feature/code freezes for proper planning. Improvements observed while Sprint 57-60 as some time is reserved for working on urgent bugs and release activities.

  •  @Team to focus on the stories In Code Review and provide PR reviews if required before starting some new work, to avoid PRs waiting for review too long. If no progress on PR reviews - ping the team in Slack channel asking for review. Try to stick to a rule of at least 2 approves before merging a PR.

In progress. Improvements observed while Sprint 57-60.

  •  @Team Stories should have proper descriptions, PRs attached, clarifications on what was done to simplify the review.

Ongoing. Acquisitions - Definition of Ready and Acquisitions - Jira Hints pages are updated with some related notes. Improvements are observed while Sprint 57-60.

Sprint 53-54 Retro Board
  •  Dennis Bridges, Craig McNally and @Team always try to break very large stories down into smaller stories/testable sub-tasks, so that testing can be done in smaller sessions. We should also try to spread the load of reviewing stories across the sprint to avoid overload at the end of sprint.

Ongoing. Improvements observed and confirmed by the team while sprint 56-59.

  •  @Team to always include some buffer time into future stories/bugs to work on some improvements of test coverage for legacy code.

Ongoing. Improvements were confirmed upon review.

  •  

    Victoria Rabykina to add some specific cases/guides on the actions related to JIRA flow to the teams page on confluence to avoid issues and glitches in JIRA reports.- Estimate in story points should be added upon grooming and should not be changed (there can be exceptional cases only when requirements are clarified/added on the fly);
    - Correct sprint should be selected;
    - Items must conform to DoR to be added to sprint;
    - Do not add new additional items to the current sprint if there are only 1-2 days left and you won;t be able to complete the item.

Acquisitions - Jira Hints page is added and shared to the team.
  •  Dennis Bridges, Ann-Marie Breaux not to use sample data while testing Stories/Bugs as we have sample data issues caused by cross-module dependencies. Testing should be done on fresh orders/lines.
Ongoing.
  •  Dennis Bridges, Ann-Marie Breaux to organize

    - some learning session on any major updates for Receiving & Checkin, Acquisitions, etc.
    - some walkthroughs on existing functionality.

Ongoing. Groomings on Receiving and Checkin flow were done in Sprint 55/56. Learning sessions on invoicing were done while Sprint 57.

  •  Victoria Rabykina to organize back-end demos for stories with major business logic changes or wherever applicable to share knowledge across Thunderjet/Stacks/Ebsco.

Ongoing. Back-end devs demoed on Internal demos for Sprint 56/57.

  •  @Team to have technical discussions to happen via group chats as far as possible for the benefit of the entire team and prevents repetitive questions.
Ongoing.
Sprint 52 Retro Board
  •  @Team introduce regular releases of modules (once per month) to get more prepared for quarterly releases and minimize risks of delaying quarterly releases.
Done in Sprint 55. Next release planned for Sprint 57.
  •  Dennis Bridges, Craig McNally, Victoria Rabykina to make sure that separate groups (Thunderjet devs, Ebsxo+Stacks back-end devs, Arvind) are reviewing backlog and estimating stories on regular basis - at least once per week. The joint Backlog Grooming meeting is to have a catch up on backlog condition and agree about next steps.
Ongoing.
  •  Dennis Bridges, Ann-Marie Breaux, Craig McNally to review stories that are moved to IN REVIEW as soon as possible, so that they are closed within the sprint. In case for some reason the updates are not available for testing, inform the devs asap to double-check.
Ongoing.
  •  Victoria Rabykina and @Team to be more timely arriving to Standups and other meetings. In case you cannot attend, notification should be sent via Slack to inform the team or SM and share your status. Thus, the team won't waste time waiting for the person who is not going to attend and the team will have understanding of progress of that person.
Ongoing.
  •  Victoria Rabykina and @Team to estimate Bugs and any unplanned work added to Sprint on the fly as it affects the stats of the team as the initially planned work is put aside.
Ongoing.
Sprint 51 Retro Board
  •  Ann-Marie Breaux, Dennis Bridges work on priorities for front-end and back-end devs to get the process of development more aligned. Detailed front-end user stories are helpful to understand requirements and create corresponding back-end stories. It would be more efficient if back-end development is started earlier and back-end is available when front-end stories are close to completion. Thus, we can have front-end implementation and integration with back-end within one story and won;t need separate stories for integration with back-end.
Ongoing.
Ongoing.
Sprint 50 Retro Board
The field is added.
  •  Ann-Marie Breaux to schedule the series of knowledge sharing sessions to onboard Thunderjet devs.
3 sessions have been done + Q/A session.
Sprint 49 Retro Board
  •  Victoria Rabykina Improve Backlog Health: organize regular Grooming meetings to identify inter-dependencies between the stories before planning.
Regular Groomings scheduled for Wednesdays starting from Nov 7.
Ongoing. Forecasting of Team's velocity while planning is pretty stable for sprints 54-57.
Additional Priority planning meeting is scheduled for POs to work on priorities.

WebEx was used for recording knowledge sharing sessions.
  •  Ann-Marie Breaux Schedule meeting for UI devs to get better understanding of FOLIO UX site and FOLIO design principles.
Meeting with Filip was scheduled.

...