MM SIG wants to discuss this topic to seek our guidance.
Note that translations are mapped to another field and are already handled. We are discussing Transliterations.
- This is not an edge case - significant portions of Cornell/Chicago and Duke's collections have multiple scripts in the data.
- The trend is increasing as well - this is where some the most "important" collections are.
- This is also where a lot of original cataloging effort goes due to lack of good alternatives
Discussion about potential solution:
- Is this something that needs a solution across all of FOLIO or is it limited to certain apps and/or certain fields
- Could impact Inventory, Acquisitions, ERM, Codex
- Is it really all of Inventory or just a subset of fields that need to accommodate this issue
Impact on searching/sorting needs to be expected and will be non-trivial
What is the MM SIG's specific ask:
1) Need to be able to store multiple languages/strings for a series of fields - these are transliterations
2) identify what is the script of each of those strings
3) need to be able to search these strings
MM SIG - TC's recommended next steps:
- Would be useful to see examples and use cases for those examples
- Examples of how other systems handle those examples
- Clear and concise problem statement
- A Scope statement; where this starts and ends in terms of FOLIO - we discussed intentionally limiting scope to Inventory
- List all JIRAs related to this - especially UXPRODs
|server||FOLIO Issue Tracker|