Report description detail:
query satisfies multiple report requests (x to date) for counts of serial titles or subscriptions currently received in physical format, usually divided by format. It requires data mainly from the Inventory App, but also the Orders module. It is intended to exclude counts of online e-resources.
The requests include additional factors users would like to be able to slice and dice by, some of which may require additional queries. The additional factors identified to date include: added new in time period; withdrawn in time period; cancelled in a time period; transferred within the institution in a time period; where shelved within a library system; exclude those not owned by library (including e.g., unowned CRL, unpurchased PDA), analyzed titles; received as gift; acquired as part of a project; by general classification; has retention requirements; is an obligatory copy; left by decedents.
- The reporter’s institution uses the Inventory and the Orders modules.
- Online resource counts are excluded even if tracked in the Inventory; see the ERM queries for online titles/subscriptions currently held counts. Each reporter must know where her/his institution’s various resources are tracked and find the needed reports as appropriate, adding together counts if needed, and avoiding any duplication if possible.
- This report cluster includes 4 (number still to be determined) requests for reports that produce current subscription counts, usually by collection type. Below, we are starting to collect all of the elements needed for these various requested reports.
- Our documentation should provide guidance on which fields reporters may have to use to identify different formats, including any definitional information available.
- Types of counts requested identified so far include current subscription counts; added new; withdrawn; transferred
- Additional factors identified so far that requestors would like to be able to identify (marked in red and blue below): added new in time period; cancelled in a time period; have perpetual access; open access; free; ;digitized locally from library's physical stock; hosted locally; stored in local institutional repository; text searchable; purchased from campus store; acquired as part of a project; by general classification; has retention requirements; is an obligatory copy; left by decedents; where shelved within a library system; exclude those not owned by library
Reports by count type:
- query is only for serial titles/subscriptions currently received counts. For physical resources, see the other RM queries for items/pieces held counts and titles held counts. For online resources, see the ERM queries for titles held counts and for serial titles/subscriptions currently received counts.
- This query results in one or more counts, not a list or lists of titles. It is more for internal or external assessment/benchmarking purposes or for planning efforts, rather than for project work. See other MM or RM reports for other purposes.
- Only titles that have been cataloged and made ready for use are included (including those batch-loaded).
- Each institution will decide how it will make it possible to break counts out by format. Requests covered here range from being able to break out counts by a very specific format, to having a report that breaks out all counts by general bibliographic format. We have attempted to identify the most common fields that will be used, and documented which they are.
- Any titles cataloged in the Inventory have instance and holdings records, and item records when appropriate.
- It is generally assumed that if you need a count as of a certain date, you take it on that date. While you can use processing dates to exclude items newly added after a certain date, you cannot get back items that were withdrawn or transferred through this query.
- Local and national definitions can be updated from year to year; be sure to review for needed changes.
- REP-63: Journals and newspapers in non-electronic form, still appearing and held by the library in the reporting year (held, expenditures)
- REP-64: Journals and newspapers in non-electronic form, held by the library in the reporting year, among those: canceled subscriptions in the reporting year
- One part of REP-80 - covered by other requests: By specific subject areas: 1. total expenditures for acquisitions; 2. thereof: expenditures on printed books, 3. expenditures on ongoingly held printed journals and newspapers; 4. acquired number of newly printed books (i.e. those whose publication is no more than 5 years ago and including obligatory copies); 5. total number of acquired and ongoingly held printed journals and newspapers. (this not put in our cluster, but need to identify)
- REP-228: Number of serial titles currently received (people make a distinction between e-journals and e-serials?) (WISHLIST: automated way to exclude currently published serials that we no longer subscribe to. Counting embargoed as currently received.) (can not only be based on whether the title is currently being published)
- Still needs to be addressed: current subscriptions vs. serial titles currently received; standing orders; how to exclude online resources; how to exclude records like those for CRL.