|Attendance & Notes||Angela|
Attendance & Notes
- Today's attendance-taker: Linda (or substitute)
- Today's note-takers: Team Leads for project updates
Reporting Documentation Subgroup needs new leader
- No need to have extensive experience with the SIG or the FOLIO reporting systems at this time! This is a great way to learn about everything!
- Please reach out to Axel Dörrer or Sharon Beltaine if you might be interested.
- This team may also evolve to take on some training tasks, so we are looking for at least a couple of new people
Updates to Reporting SIG Wiki
How to find our latest recordings
(Always) Recruiting New Query Developers
- The Reporting SIG is always on the look-out for new query developers. Please let us know if you are interested in doing query development or if there are others at your institution who might be a good fit.
|Discussion on possible changes to FOLIO Analytics documentation, report queries||All|
- In the reporting development meetings, we talked a bit about developing more of a template or recipe model for report queries
- Goal would be to help people get up and running with reporting quickly, provide tips and code snippets, but not spend a lot of time writing queries that aren't getting used
- Another model might be an FAQ - start with a specific set of questions people want to answer, then share examples of how to do that
- What other models might we consider? Any good examples you know about? Are there pros and cons to different approaches?
- ERM has a plan to create a tutorial for beginners in ERM; would like to collect information into one presentation (Google Slides); we have a lot already but want to bring it all together. It should be a good first step to reference in our tutorials, so beginners can read the information for each area of reporting.
- Also plan to transform the ERM group content to have more lab time in the meetings; create new areas, eUsage and Open Access; would also like to talk about specific problems user have
- The code snippets and tips will be useful for all. Also an FAQ for commonly asked questions.
- Maybe we do need some kind of "Quickstart" on the repo, and then encourage people to go through the full training presentation after that
- What is especially tricky for newcomers?
- Explaining what a derived table is
- JSON scripting
- concept of ids in the tables that don't have a name (e.g., id in loans table is the loan_id); other systems, they're all labelled
- cross-app connections in ERM
- how tables connect - maybe a comprehensive table of the joins between tables
- LDLite is very complex to begin with, even to install (easy on Unix, but Windows much harder) - maybe need better documentation about installation, or a walkthrough
|Finishing the Reporting SIG vision: mission statement||All|
After all of our visioning work, let's summarize it with a short mission statement. What really rises to the top as our primary mission?
- writing SQL reports
- conceptualizing what reporting should look like
- training as people continue to join the group
- sharing application information (e.g., DBeaver)
- sharing installation experiences
- FOLIO Reporting SIG works to develop ERM-related sample report queries and derived table queries for the folio-analytics Git repository and discuss all related topics around reporting. Documentation, FAQ ...
- problem solving (SQL, tools, etc.)
- offer a space for technical and non-technical people to talk about reporting
|Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and Efforts||Community & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads|
Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries. Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG. Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.
RA/UM Working Group
- Meetings have become more of a lab session, working through specific problems
- Contact Angela if you would like to join these meetings; second Wednesdays at 1pm Eastern
MM Working Group
- Meetings are 1st Tuesday of the month, 12-1pm ET via zoom using the usual FOLIO password. Our lab sessions are open to everyone. Please bring your questions, examples, and comments about reporting and metadata.
- We are still looking for reviewers. Please contact MM reports working group.
- Our next meeting will be focused on working with marc srs and folio data in particular for use cases related to Stanford reports.
ERM Working Group
- ERM Prototype and Query Development Status
- folio-analytics version 1.5:
- add comments to columns in all derived tables
- We will revise the directory structure for report queries within erm on GitHub (metadb) to be consistent with the repository rules.
- Goal: a derived table.
- The development requires time and expertise from SME.
- We're going to take it in phases:
- Get test data and enter it into our test environment. started
- Analyze data structure.
- Invite SME and have data explained.
- Creation of derived tables
- Topics for the future
- Documentation / tutorials / lab sessions
- There are slides. They will merged and improved. We would like one presentation for beginners (onboarding). This slides will uploaded into the directory for all presentations.
- In planning: In addition to the documentation, tutorials will be created.
- Group transformation: In addition to the specific developments, meetings will have become more of a lab session, working through specific problems.
- Meetings are bi-weekly on tuesdays 11am ET alternating with RM Working Group
- Next meeting will be at 23th, Aug together with RM in one meeting
- Contact Stefan Dombek if you would like to get a calendar invitation
RM Working Group
Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup
- Honeysuckle documentation is live on https://docs.folio.org/docs/
- Iris documentation is in progress, due December 15
- Additional Context
- The Reporting SIG has representation on the Documentation Working Group, which is building end-user documentation for https://docs.folio.org/docs/ (mostly linking to existing documentation over on GitHub)
External Statistics Working Group
- no updates currently
- new organizational/tracking scheme for JIRA, with pointers to queries in folio-analytics repository
- New organizational structure for External Statistics reports
- external statistics reports (e.g., ACRL) typically require running queries from different functional reporting areas
- these reports will be captured in JIRA under one UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issue, then the descriptions will point to each of the queries required to run them on the folio-analytics repository
- institutions will need to rank each of these 8 new UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issues
- each reporting development team will take responsibility for the queries in their area for the external statistics clusters
For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development:
|Topics for Future Meetings||All|
- How to deal with External Stats reports?
- maybe subteam leads check in about that
- probably wait until after Metadb conversion is more complete
- ask for presenters: hosting experiences from implementers
- Annual Reporting Goals
- (in progress) Support the transition from LDP to Metadb (e.g., update derived table and report queries, update documentation, outreach, new training)
- (ready to start) Developing training/onboarding for new SIG members/report users (esp. FOLIO-specific data model and transformation stuff)
- (in progress) Develop a FOLIO Reporting Vision and Strategy
- secondary goal: come up with language that can be used to explain to our institutions the importance of the work and of devoting resources
- Improve communication between SIG and developers of apps so we hear about data model changes in advance
- continued advocacy on part of the SIG to governance groups
- (ready to start) Review JIRA issues, clean up, revisit strategy for JIRA
- Additional data model training
- Regular review of Milestones
- Exploring new recruitment/onboarding strategies (e.g., buddy system)
Review and update Topics for Future Reporting SIG Meetings