Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Agenda to minutes

Date

Recording

https://recordings.openlibraryfoundation.org/folio/product-council/2022-09-22T09:25/

Attendees

Discussion items

TimeItemWhoNotes
5 minAnnouncementsAll

Library Congress to implement FOLIO — looking forward to the community aspects of this; the code will be contributed back to the open source community. LC's needs will bring linked data and efficient scaling to the forefront.  The Entity Management Working Group is also restarting its work and has invited Gloria Gonzalez to its next meeting.

The Shanghai Public Library is officially running FOLIO for the library.   

10 min

Discovery/Integration API needs

Goal: determine if need for SIG or subgroup and where such a group should be located in the group structure

 
 Brooks Travis 

As cross-cutting functionality, how to organize this—should it be under another SIG or its own SIG? Perhaps this is a subgroup of App Interaction? Some of this needs to happen relatively quickly: patron empowerment functionality, improving OAI-PMH capabilities. Integrations could also go to Sysops SIG. Perhaps start as a subgroup and see if it needs a more permanent home.

Recommendation: start with a subgroup of Sysops SIG with the people that have expressed interest.

15 min

WOLFCon Debrief: criteria creation to evaluate modules - review Scope/Criteria work to address action items

Second group to be headed by Julie Bickle:

Kristin Martin 

Proposal in 2 parts: 1) practical steps to return to what this group does (to be reviewed in the group tomorrow and eventually brought to PC); 2) looking at the FOLIO architecture and longer-term plans.

For a future meeting: a process for how we keep the roadmap up-to-date. There was a lot of work to tie the roadmap into current development; how do we best leverage this work?


Functional Criteria for Accepting Modules would come up with criteria akin to what the Technical Council does. Kristin Martin would continue to lead the group with Harry Kaplanian and Tod Olson. Mike Gorrell would help with the MOU work. Looking for others to participate; this is likely a short term group.

Proposed vision for future FOLIO builds, led by Julie Bickle, that would take on some of the activities from WOLFcon including the app store concept. This will be a longer-term group. Ian Walls, Marc Johnson, and Harry Kaplanian have volunteered to join.

15

SIG reviews: Spreadsheet

Goals: determine process and timeframe to conduct a review

All

Kristin Martin added a "Questions" tab to the "FOLIO SIG Status" spreadsheet with ideas about moving forward. (How useful are the monthly SIG reports? Can we have a SIG come in on a rotating basis for a more in-depth discussion?) There is a two-way communication need: to have the broader project aware of what is happening in the SIGs and to have a place for SIGs to bring questions that are bigger than what the SIG can take on.

The spreadsheet was updated with additional information and other questions to pursue.

40

Other WOLFCon action items:

  • Roadmap reduxeredux
  • Capacity planning now release planning
  • Priorities (may need to wait until Martina S. is back)
  • Clarify decisions on cross-council meetings and chair communication
All

Jesse Koennecke is fine with continuing with the roadmap work and is interested in how others think it would be best to move this along.

Capacity Planning has become Release planning to better reflect its goals and outcomes.

From the Community Council meeting, the cross-council gathering is being planned to meet quarterly.

5 minFuture topicsAll

Return to presentation of Chinese libraries' implementation of FOLIO as a follow-up to the WOLFcon presentation - offering a Q&A

Action items

  •  

Return to the evolution of the roadmap process

Chat log

00:11:44	Owen Stephens:	It's great news - very pleased to see LoC joining this community
00:11:55	Tod Olson:	Yes, splendid news!
00:11:58	Gang Zhou | SHL:	Yes
00:12:07	Sharon Wiles-Young:	Awesome news
00:12:12	Tiewei Liu:	👍
00:12:13	Karen Newbery:	Great news!
00:16:37	Charlotte Whitt:	Gloria Gonzales slide deck: https://ebscoind-my.sharepoint.com/:p:/g/personal/ggonzalez_corp_epnet_com/Eff6Qlq5od5GvBkRz_53cKsBIKo3jPmtpFvmjgeqbMedYQ?rtime=S3XIqQ2b2kg
00:17:14	Charlotte Whitt:	The Entity Management WG is getting back at work.
00:18:45	Charlotte Whitt:	The MM-SIG will have a meeting on Enity Management 10/6 and here also Gloria will attend
00:19:14	Owen Stephens:	This is great news as well!
00:19:21	Christopher Spalding (EBSCO):	Fantastic!
00:19:23	Owen Stephens:	A very positive start to the meeting 🙂
00:19:28	Tod Olson:	Brilliant!
00:19:57	Tiewei Liu:	😃
00:23:45	Gang Zhou | SHL:	Charlotte , May I download this slides?
00:27:39	Laura D (she/they):	Magda & Charlotte have asked to be included also
00:28:40	Karen Newbery:	I'm inclined to agree with SysOps since it's a group for integrations.
00:30:39	Charlotte Whitt:	Gang Zhou, let me check with Gloria - I’ll add you in the Slack channel - 2 sec
00:30:56	Jesse Koennecke (he/him):	IO think SysOps makes the most sense as well.  I'm reluctant to decide today though with the conveners of both SIGs being out.
00:31:24	Gang Zhou | SHL:	Thanks
00:32:23	Brooks Travis:	Frankly, the conversation around data sync is largely driven by UX concerns…
00:41:49	Ian Walls:	I have
00:41:58	Harry:	I will take part
00:42:26	Marc Johnson:	Yes, I would like to continue being involved in the platform, builds, releases part
00:43:02	Marc Johnson:	I’m happy to take part in the criteria topic too, but I think that’s really a PC thing
00:43:57	Marc Johnson:	The “code” language came from the scope criteria’s original remit.

We’ve not wanted to drift from that
00:56:32	Harry:	I need to jump off.  Thank you everyone.
00:59:28	Dung-Lan Chen:	Yes, Kristin, that's my understanding, too!
01:01:39	Marc Johnson:	The answers to these questions likely vary by SIG / functional area.

Some SIGs are relatively well aligned with the scope of a development team, which likely strengthens the indirect relationship (AFAIK there is no direct relationship).

Acquisitions and thunderjet is probably a good example of that.

This is less so for some of the other functional areas and development teams.
01:03:14	Owen Stephens:	Yes - absolutely
01:03:27	Owen Stephens:	And I think we could see some splits in the SIG tbh
01:03:42	Dung-Lan Chen:	Yes, I agree with that statement, Kristin.
01:03:53	Marc Johnson:	Indeed, most of the relationship is entirely intermediated by POs
01:09:05	Dung-Lan Chen:	Acquisitions SIG is very lucky to have Kristin as our PC liaison.
01:10:27	Brooks Travis:	Sorry, but I need to jump
01:17:59	Alexis Manheim:	I like that idea
01:18:03	Karen Newbery:	I like that idea, Kristin.