SC&A WG Membership
- Gregory Bailey (Texas A&M)
- Erin Faulder (Cornell University)
- Kathleen Feeney (University of Chicago)
- Sebastian Hammer (Index Data)
- Pablo Morales Henry (Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study/Harvard University)
- Noah Huffman (Duke University)
- Julia Kim (Library of Congress)
- Peter Murray (Index Data)
- Michelle Paquette (Smith College)
- Christie Peterson (Smith College)
- Aaron Rubinstein (UMass-Amherst)
- Sarah Schmidt (Duke University)
- Katharine Short (De Montfort University; observer)
- Aaron Trehub (Auburn University; convener)
- Catherine Uecker (University of Chicago)
- Christine Wise (SOAS; observer)
SC&A WG Documents and Resources
- FOLIO SC&A WG Progress Report (May 2018)
- FOLIO Overview by Sebastian Hammer of Index Data (March 12, 2018): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hof-0XjwEJTJZly8A9jdM43MwFigVJ1n/view
- Ashley Blewer's archives management tool matrix: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cXOug3qM0pNNeD_wssiVEv9c0W1Y5I1VDTnSPTk7fb4/edit#gid=0
- ArchivesSpace Demo by Noah Huffman of Duke University (April 2, 2018): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zS_hGXbGhjhphN1gwb7aVIgW4KW1t3nO
- ArchivesSpace documentation: http://archivesspace.org/application/technical-documentation/
- AtoM documentation: https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.4/
- CALM Archive Collections Management Systems: https://alm.axiell.com/collections-management-solutions/technology/calm-archive/
- ICA Study of 12 Archival Management Software Systems (2003): https://www.ica.org/sites/default/files/ICA_Study-12-Survey-of-archival-management-software_EN.pdf
SC&A Systems: A Preliminary Features Wish-List
- Better ways to manage related collections in other repositories.
- Better ways to handle cataloging issues that are specific to SC&A departments (e.g. provenance).
- Better ways to manage gifts (e.g. in the FOLIO Acquisitions module), a process that is much more common in SC&A departments than in general libraries.
- Better ways to manage relationships among digitized and digital collection files (digitized analog, generations, directory structures).
- Tools for electronic records management (e.g. e-mail archives).
- Better descriptive modules and management tools for born-digital archival collections (especially born-digital video and complex digital files).
- Ways to handle algorithms in an archival setting. These have been defined by Cliff Lynch as "large, complex socio-technical systems (often today shorthanded as 'algorithms') that centrally involve some mixture of personalization, opaque rules, and machine learning components" (http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/8097).
- Ways to record and provide support for restrictions on access, often date-driven (sensitive materials, copyright, donor agreements, etc.), particularly relating to born-digital materials but really across all collections.
- A calendaring system (e.g. for restricted collections).
- Modules for recording long-term conservation and preservation activities.
- Better transmission methods (read: documented APIs) between existing SC&A systems and FOLIO modules (e.g. ability to talk between an SC&A system and the FOLIO Acquisitions module).
- Connections (hooks, APIs) between archival management systems and large-scale discovery systems, both open-source and commercial.
Archival Workflows => FOLIO SIGs
Resource => Metadata Management SIG
Business Documents => Reporting SIG
Preservation => ? (Systems Operations and Management SIG?)
Recent space activity
The Special Collections and Archives (SC&A) Working Group is evaluating options for integrating the data and workflows specific to special collections and archives functions into FOLIO.
The SC&A Working Group met on Mondays at 2:00 PM Eastern U.S. time. (See time in your timezone.) For more details, see the Special Collections and Archives Working Group Meetings page. NOTE: the SC&A Working Group suspended its work in December 2018, having fulfilled its original charge and reported to the FOLIO Product Council on its activities and findings. The group may be revived in future if there is sufficient interest in the SC&A community.
Working Group Convener
For more information about the SC&A Working Group, contact the convener: Aaron Trehub.
- No labels