1. Search & Filtering
Filter to define what field are you searching for (i.e. Subject ) and what criteria you are applying ( Begin with it means “start with”. Exact match.)
In “Settings: MARCcat” you have “Field groupings” and you have the field group name (Title, Author, Collection title …) and descriptions. You have the possibility to define in the Authority records (or bibliographic too) what field is searching.
- Field group settings:
- Establish which kind of tags will retrieve authority records and which bibliographic records
- More sophisticated logic in field groups setup (?) GROUP + PO DISCUSSION :
- “If the position 15 = a in the 008”, then it can be used as subject.
When you do the search, we need to be discussing:
- If you want to search and retrieve both authority and bibliographic records (using specific filter)
- and what type of things that needs to show the result list, authority records as well as bibliographic records
The first case shows where the heading is found (field “MATCH”): in tag 100 for AUTHORITY RECORD and it comes from NAF. To this heading are associated 5 bibliographic records.
In the next cases the headings come from tag 600 of bibliographic records and there are 2 records for “Doem Johan A.” and one for “Doe, John B.”.
- if I have more than one authority record associated to “Doe, John”, where can I see the record count?
- Where can I see holding data and edit MARC holdings? GROUP + PO DISCUSSION
If you click on the second heading, you will see all bibliographic records associated to it and the tags that contain it.
In the result list for associated bibliographic records, it will be the Title
Filip and @Cult need to discuss how realize and manage control fields (Leader, 006, 007 and 008), displayed above in the control field section.
If you scroll down the control fields section , you’ll see the variable data fields section:
The cursor is well highlighted
and if you press “Enter” you will add a new line
Then I can fill the line and use the drop down menu displayed to select tag (the cursor is in the first field, tag, I pressed “T” and I have the list of tags that start with 7XX). You can type also directly the tag.
To have the list of indicators or subfields we use/press other buttons (i.e: CRTL + H for indicators).
To move the line (up and down) I can click on the icon and drag it wherever I want
(or use specific keyboard shortcuts to do the same thing)
About the adding of headings, like 1XX/7XX we need to discuss how we want to realize and allow the check of the heading, in immediately way, into the authority system, for a quick lookup in another window. GROUP + PO DISCUSSION
Authority record look up:
When typing a 100 tag, you can look up for the authority record. Clicking in “Full authority lookup” bring you throughout the Authority record search.
If you have an invalid character, we would like to realize it (to discuss it in a small group)
We need to discuss when we want validate the record, how we want to do that (it’s an individual preference or institutional?).
GROUP + PO DISCUSSION:
- End user permission: can override MARC errors? (URGENT)
- Conditional errors: Eg. “If there is 1xx field, then the 245 first indicator cannot be 0?” (URGENT)
- App (organization wide) settings (URGENT) :
- Validate on opening? YES/NO?
- Validate at all? YES/NO?
User (individual user) preferences:
- Validate on opening? YES/NO?
- Validate at all? YES/NO?
· UTF8 autoconversion /encoding. Diacritics, copy-pasting and saving
· Local tag tables
An automatic check to verify the ISBN control number:
Actions that you can do from Edit records:
If we have Marc documentation, we could link it to external sites. Press keyboard to ask the documentation
3. MANAGEMENT OF SPECIAL CHARACTERS: GROUP + PO DISCUSSION (URGENT)
- Copy- pasting workflow
- On paste, autoconversion to UTF-8
- Original cataloguing from physical book
- Glyphs list/ grid window?
(i.e. diacritics + non- latin scripts characters)
- Variations of characters dropdown ?
- UTF-8/encoding diacritics and copy-pasting and saving
- Centrally managed MARC fields vs institution, marc … overrides or obsolete/forbidden fields?
- AKA local tag tables
Make a list with all kind of “a” that you can scroll (it should be a possibility in Folio)
4. DROP TO OVERLAY/MERGE
Drop a .marc record to overlay/merge wih the new one. It’s a single record marc import.
@Cult: I think that here Filip is referring to the possibility (in OCLC) to create a record extracting metadata from an electronic file and insert the data into a workform to create a preliminary new record.
- Drag link from website
- Drag on FOLIO UI
- FOLIO looks up ID contained in URL in source system (i.e. LOC, OCLC web UI, etc.) based on domain in URL
- FOLIO import MARC data from source through source’s API
Choose a template for each kind of record or create your own:
- Organization-wide templates or personal templates ( so there are template defined by the institutions and templates created by the cataloger ).
- In this case you can use keybord shortcuts to quickly load a template.
- When updating variable fields from template, simply add the fields in the template (no overwriting, duplication may result)
- When changing leader material type, warn of 008 changes
Less urgent topics
· External search:
When the users are going to do the whole workflow in MARCcat instead of using other systems as
· Make links work.
· Clone as an “e-book”.
· Export directly to OCLC (no file download) & import from other sources:
Non UI connection with OCLC and other sources (perhaps with overlay behaviour controlled in
MARCcat FOLIO settings).
· 020 field specific function:
When inputting an ISBN (as one leaves field e.g.), validate ISBN number: If you e.g. write
9871423444183, instead of the correct 9781423444183, then the system would let you know that
it's invalid, in the first run. (THIS IS BASED ON THE LAST DIGIT IN THE ISBN NUMBER, WHICH
IS A CHECK DIGIT).
· Support wildcards.